Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My onan 12.5 k generator will run but there is no ac power

Customer Question

my onan 12.5 k generator will run but there is no ac power to coach. there is a single breaker switch on gen set that has no resistance when turning off or on is there any other breakers on the gen set
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 monaco 45 foot signiture
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if possible I am leaving in 2 weeks no one can get it in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the switch for plug in current and battery seems to work but does not switch the relay when gen is turned on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

One way to tell if this is a problem with the generator is go right to the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) and see if you have AC voltage going into it. The shore cord and generator cord will go right to the transfer switch, many times it can be near the shore cord outside, if you have AC voltage going in and nothing coming out the ATS has failed, they can do this on gen. power or shore power and when they fail you will get NO AC voltage. The generator should only have one breaker, it will be a single or dual breaker.

IF you have power at the transfer switch what you can try and do is shut all the breakers off inside, start the generator and then turn the breakers on one at a time, try plugging into shore power as well, then unplug and try the generator again, sometimes that will unseat the relay in the ATS.

IF you have no voltage at the ATS then it could be a number of things wrong with the generator such as the voltage regulator, bad breaker etc..

Hope this gives you some direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

HI I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please let me know.....

Robert