peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

Have 2004 fleetwood storm. Began having headlight problems

Customer Question

have 2004 fleetwood storm. Began having headlight problems several months ago-replaced headlight switch( the old type with the pullout knob)--was very hot on the side where current comes in, had similar experiences before-melting in the pigtails and connectors--replaced -did ok, but now have persistent problem, seems unrelated to that switch which is not hot, in the usual place anyway-but-no hi beams!--bulbs look fine, visually, both filaments in each intact and not burned or broken. possible clue, I notice that I cannot even get lowbeams to turn on if I'm in "park" gear. Possible clue #2--do not hear the normal relay "CLICK" when i hit chassis battery disconnect, wheas the coach batt disconnect clicks just fine and cuts of appliances and coach lights etc. I don't even know all of what the chassis battery disconnects or connects to, dont have much experience with that electric box under the hood on the firewall other than test light checking of blade fuses to such as elec steps and other fuses in the box which has a 15 amp blade fuse marked headlight-which is good, and hot on both sides. i can see where both chassis and coach batteries enter the box, and both are hot there and the big silver multi pin relay is hot on two of its connectors. a friend helping said a black cube relay in center of board clicked when i hit the coach bat disconnect inside--that's about all i know. what is very unusual is with both batt "ON", i have NO HEADLIGHTS at all, just park lights when I pull the headlight switch on. I recollect it is usual to have full low and hi beam with no ignition switch on - I've sure run down many a battery by leaving the headlights on in the past. ok so next clue, I went to the expense and trouble to change out the hi-lo dimmer switch down on the lower column--(still recovering from that herculean
maneuver enough to pause and do something else) thusly I call for help--the new hi -low switch obviously did not fix the problem. Thusly--I am willing to pay for some help--only thing else is it's got about 50,000 miles of nighttime hi beam driving on it, so you might expect it to be simply burned out hi beams or burned up main headlight switch but as i said it ALL started behaving wacky-including twice getting stopped by patrols for having TOO BRIGHT, BLINDING WHITE REAR LIGHTS just driving normally down the interstate! Any help will be appreciated! woody I am callable too(###) ###-####
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases faults like this here can be caused by shorted or damaged wiring needing repaired or replaced on this model.If you have not had the wiring checked for any issues at all this needs done to see if the fault can be located and repaired or if a wiring harness needs replaced.If this has already been checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete