Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I got 06 cross country on Freightliner chasis 300hp Cummins

Customer Question

I got 06 cross country on Freightliner chasis 300hp Cummins pusher.I don't think my dash a.c. is cool as should be. I think it's kicking in cause I see a little drop in Rpm. I think it has a shut off for the coolant coming to heater. Would it help to shut that off in warm weather. I read some where that it would.
JA: Have you inspected the hoses? Have you checked the radiator fluid?
Customer: Yes hoses look good and coolant is full
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2006 cross country by coachmen on Freightliner custom chassis . 354mbs
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just looking it over and looking on line for suggestions. That where I read about turning coolant off.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm just wondering if it just needs recharged or the coolant shut off might help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Few things on this.... To start go to the AC compressor and make sure the clutch is coming on for the compressor, you will see it come on and off. IF it is not coming ON then it could be low on freon, a shop can evacuate the Freon and see how much is in the system, if it is low then it should be checked for leaks and a vaccum put on the system.

The coolant has to flow through the heater core box if the coolant is not flowing then the AC could be warm, the system should use a H valve or electronic water valve that meters the amount of coolant through the heater core box. Normally that valve is under the front cap area on the passenger side, the heater core box will have hoses going to it and the valve would be on that line, it will also have wires going to it. IF you feel each side of the rubber hose it should feel warm, if one side is noticeably hotter then that valve can be the issue.

I am not sure which valve you are thinking about shutting off, normally that is not required at all and can cause problems if it is going to the heater core box.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please let me know... Robert