Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor w/400hp Cummings; sitting 3

Customer Question

2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor w/400hp Cummings; sitting for past 3 weeks on external power; chassis and rv batteries on charge; tried to start this am; everything was normal until starting to crank engine at which time there was a single backfire after maybe two or three revolutions; engine did not fire; there is not visible or external damage that I can find; the only I found was that the Engine Switch was On when I tried to start; now there seems to be an electrical problem was the key is turned on; the dash lights flicker, there is a random clicking sound; the low air pressure horn twitters instead of beeping, etc.; and the engine won't turn over. help is this something major? can it be fixed in the field? or do I have to make arrangements for a tow to Fleetwood/Monaco/HR in Decauter? thanks.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What I would do is check all your chassis battery cables make sure they are not loose, I also might pull the chassis battery and have it load tested to make sure it is good. If the lights are flickering then it could be a voltage issue. IF it is not a voltage or cable issue then it could be more complex and require a mobile tech to come out and hook up to the engine data port and see if any codes are active, if there are codes it will point the tech in the right direction. To me it sounds like a voltage problem and I would start with the cables and having the battery tested, also make sure the main ground to the frame is clean and tight..... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please let me know... Robert