gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a '93 Fleetwood bounder. 35ft. 5.9 Cummins pusher

Customer Question

I have a '93 Fleetwood bounder. 35ft. 5.9 Cummins pusher w/Allison 4 speed auto transmission. brake master cylinder is full but today I drove it and got the brakes hot enough to fade some. then after driving a few miles without using the brakes, when I hit the pedal it went way down like it had air in the system. it is a Oshkosh chassis and has 4 wheel disc. any ideas?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the power steering reservoir is also full and the steering doesn't seem to be affected.
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 4 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

yes, from getting the brakes hot, it sounds like the fluid may have boiled and introduces air into the system.

the first thing I would do is to bleed the system and see if it returns to normal. if it does, have the system checked for any issues with sticking calipers as well.

if the pedal does not return to normal, then most likely the master cylinder may have failed.