rvtechnician2011, RVIA Certification
Experience:  Rvia/rvda Master Certified Rv Technician with 9+ years experience.

I have a Onan rv qg 5500 evap that wont charge its own

Customer Question

I have a Onan rv qg 5500 evap that wont charge its own starting battery. Like most rv's the the house battery's were the starting battery's but I wanted to separate that and just use a single start only battery. This is how my last trailer was set up and worked great.
This gen has no charging output from the stator, in fact if I disconnect the battery while it's running it just dies. I looked for a rectifier/voltage regulator and I see the three white wires from the stator but they terminate into the main control board located behind the circuit breaker/start switch.
How can I check the stator output or the circuit board?
Where can I get the actual service manual?
Category: RV
Expert:  rvtechnician2011 replied 4 months ago.
What is the model number of your Genset?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
5.5 HGJAB-6755K
I did find the service manual and it does have a voltage regular located at the rear behind the cylinders, not accessible w/o removing the cover and that looks like it needs to be done after removing it from the trailer.
I think I'm going to call rocky mountain cummins tomorrow and even know the unit is 3 months out of warrantee now, see what they have to say if they will in good faith fix it being it has just 160 hrs.
it does say in the manual that the charging system needs to be "turned on" but I'm not sure if they are referring to the inverter or the controller of the genset. I know the Marques gold 5500 I had in the last trailer had no problems maintaining the starter battery and it was separate from the house batteries/inverter.