Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

When I am connected to shore power and turn on more the one

Customer Question

When I am connected to shore power and turn on more the one 12 volt light in my RV the White Rodgers 6 volt solinod eon the engine battery compartment cycles about every 20 seconds. It does not do this when on generator power. I have replace the chassis batteries and cleaned all connections
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right RV Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: It is a 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor motor home with 150000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned all connections and replaced the two chassis batteries. One post I read said that when volts/Amos are high enough the solenoid will engage and the converter willcharge the chassis batteries as well as the coach batteries. When the bolts/amps drop to a certain level the solenoid will disengage and the converter will only charge the coach batteries. This appears to happen every 20 seconds or so on shore powere
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: Coach batteries are one year old. This all started a few months ago when my RV was in the shop having carpet changed. The next time I used it the coach batteries drained and would not charge. I replaced a 300 amp fuse between the heart interface 2000 converter/inverter and the coach batteries and now they charge but I have the chassis battery clicking issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like you either have a battery that is defective OR perhaps one wired up wrong on the polarity. Or they may have created a short someplace when they were working on it. Start with the easy things first like checking the batteries and cables. Have them load tested as taking a voltage reading won't really give you the answer on the amps capacity. Take a photo of the cables and attach it to your post if you want. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached are a couple of pics of the coach battery wiring and the chassis battery wiring. I had the old chassis batteries load tested a few weeks ago before I replaced them. They tested ok but really 4+ years old so I replaced them anyway.I think the little orange box on the left side of the coach battery compartment is for the solar charger installed on the roof. I think it is working but it used to click occasionally before this happened and now it does not. I have one lead from this system tired to the positive of one of the six bolt batteries in the front ant the other lead ties to the negative of the other six volt battery in the front. If I try to wire it differently the orange box hums
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It appears from the first photo that the black lead in loom wrap on the front right battery on the negative post is wrong. I can't tell from that photo if it is a negative or positive lead, so I will take a look at more photos. The main thing is that the leads that tie the two batteries together on each pair from the positive of one to the negative of the other should NOT have any other leads on those posts. Just the series tie cables.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It appears to be a smaller red wire with an inline fuse. Correct? If so, that is a positive lead.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Are the red and white leads on the solar charger (orange) that you can easily see coming from the panels or going to the batteries? Get back to me with some info on those comments are we can go from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The wire in the black loom on the right front battery is the orange wire coming from the little orange box and is connected to the negative post that is connected to the positive post on the back batteries. On the left front battery positive post a blue wire with an inline fuse is connected to the positive terminal. This wire turns to purple and joins the red and white wire from the orange box I'm a black loom and goes in the coach
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It makes a difference on which negative you hook it to. You want to hook it up to the SAME negative as the one to the coach. Otherwise you are not getting the correct voltage. Have you checked the solar charger to be sure it is working?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I have not, can I just disconnect the two wires associated with the little orange box to see if the clicking on the engine battery solenoid stops and go from there to get it connected back correctly. If I hook the orange wire from the little orange box to the negative terminal on the back right battery to little orange box buzzes. If I hook the orange wire from the little orange of box to the positive on the left front battery and hook the blue purple on the negative on the back right battery, no buzz. Do you think the orange should go to negative or positive?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Take a meter and check to see if those are putting out any voltage and it will tell you the polarity. If you see a minus sign you know the polarity is backwards.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Between the orange wire and the blue purple wire associated with the orange box I get 14+ volts, between the orange wire and the negative terminal on the right rear battery I get 14+ volts, between the blue purple wire and the negative terminal on the right rear battery, no voltage and continuity. Hook the orange wire to the left front battery positive and the blue purple wire to the right rear battery negative and still get clicking on the rear engine battery solenoid if I turn on more than 2 or so 12v lights. Disconnected both orange and blue purple wires from the coach battery back and still get clicking on the rear engine battery solenoid if I turn on more that 2 12v lights
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Is that the disconnect solenoid or a shortstop breaker. Send me a photo of that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a solenoid that allows engine batteries to charge if there is enough volts or amps in the dc system. It thinks it does so starts charging the engine batteries then after 20 seconds or so thinks it does not and clicks off. Repeats every 20 seconds if I have +2 12v DC lights on in rv
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

That is the Auxiliary Start solenoid. It should ONLY come on when you hit the switch for that on the dash. If it is on any other time it is bad or the switch is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wonder why it only cycles when I turn on lights?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Something is wired up wrong I suspect or is that wired up to a BIRD device? Is the engine running then or not?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Engine is not running. What is a BIRD device
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It controls the charging of the house batteries when the engine is running and comes on when it senses the house batteries need charging. I am wondering if you have one if that is being triggered by the solar charger somehow. I think that is part of the issue here. And I still think that there is some wiring problem in that orange unit if that is the charge controller. Part of the problem is I don't know which wires off that are positive or negative here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only wire coming from the orange device connecting to the batteries is an orange wire and I think it is positive. The red and white wires coming from the orange device go into the coach. The blue/purple wire that has a battery connection goes into the coach with the red and white wires from the writing on the front I think this is correct.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

The orange lead should be hooked up where the blue lead is hooked (or was) in your first photo. On the positive feed to the coach. The blue lead should be hooked up to the right rear battery where the negative leads go to the coach. Try that and see if things work better.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I switched that to how you described above during our discussion yesterday and still have the rear engine battery solenoid clicking. Do you think the little orange box just controls solar charging. If not I may have to wait until the coach batteries get fully charged for the clicking to go away
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Yes, that is all it does.........and that other solenoid shouldn't be clicking unless you hit the switch. That may be a whole other issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK probably will change the solenoid
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Or track down the switch and see if that is part of the issue.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or so you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not got it resolved but do not think I need additional input. Today I disconnected the solenoid so it will not constanly engage and ordered a new solenoid.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

10-4