Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Any idea what might be leaking if there is hydraulic oil

Customer Question

Any idea what might be leaking if there is hydraulic oil literally spraying out when I try to retract my generator? The leak seems to be spraying from the power unit valve assembly
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been burning oil lately? What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2005 Mandalay 40E, 400Cummins ISL, Freightliner chassis. No engine oil leaks and only 35,000 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well? I'm not that technical. I have checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir and it showed full (and was the pink transmission fluid color). The oil that sprayed was clear. So I'm not sure if it is coming from the same thing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Slide outs still seem to work (however, I am not going to mess with them). Jacks went down fine until the last one fully extended and then the oil sprayed up all over the hydraulic bay. Generator slide out is stuck extended and also sprays oil from the same area when I try to retract.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

It should be coming from a damaged line or valve. This is not a DIY fix and you should either take it into a shop or call in a good mobile mechanic to assist you. A bad line can sometimes be repaired depending on where the leak is (st the end of the line) and it can be dangerous for you to disconnect a hydraulic line under pressure. If you call a local shop, be sure you explain the problem and they can recommend one for you (if you chose that option). Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer. Get back to me if you need more input from me as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you may have missed my response to your question a few days ago? If you still need some assistance and input from me here, please get back to me. Thanks!