Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

My dad has a 1985 Southwind Motorhome. It is in need of all

Customer Question

My dad has a 1985 Southwind Motorhome. It is in need of all windows being sealed, bathroom flooring replaced, carpet replaced, bedding/table/couch cushions replaced & re-covered, wall finishing replaced, curtains, winter skirting & outside attachments protected for harsh winters. What is he looking at for a repair cost to upgrade this unit and is it worth it? The motor/tranny is fine but it sure needs a facelift & freshening up. I would try to do this for this 83 year old but I have Osteoporosis, Asthma & Lung issues. Tearing this apart would hospitalize me. Is it worth it? He has options of apartment living or living with me in my home which is very nice & private. He continues to pressure me on this but he does not understand my limitations. I thank you for your advice on which way he might want to consider. Thank you, Vick @
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

I can give you an idea on the labor for each, it will be ball park....

The windows being sealed, depends if they are going to be removed or not. The window will have a foam gasket that presses up against the sidewall of the RV, many times you can just mask off each window and use some clear silicone where the window frame meets the body, a shop will charge about 1/2 hour to seal each window, if the window is being removed and that gasket replaced you are looking at an extra 1/2 hour per window, maybe 1 1/2 hours.

If all the floor covering needs to be replaced you are looking at about 3 days of labor or 24 hours, many times items have to be removed and then re-installed when the carpeting is down.

IF you are talking about all the wall board that would also be about 3 days or 24 hours of labor.

Winter skirting will cost about 6 dollars per foot so you would have to double each side and then front and back so on a 34' coach you would be paying for about 80'x 6 dollars.

It adds up for sure ball park on this you are looking at around 50 hours, most shops charge 100 a hour some charge less so it is smart to shop around and see what the labor rate is..

I would say total you are looking at around 5K to 7K to get it all in shape. I would have at least three shops give you an estimate... In my opinion it might not worth having the RV fixed up due to it's age but on the flip side you should be able to recoup some of that money if the RV is sold.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating at the top of the page.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns, follow ups are included...

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please feel free to contact me...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see you have debited my bank another $45.00 6/16/2016. I paid for the a one (1) month membership on 6/08/2016. I am not ready to use your service at the present time and would appreciate you not charging me and would appreciate a $45.00 credit to my bank account. Thank you. Vickie Heinze
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

I do not handle the payments, billing or credit at all, I only get credit when you select a rating which you never did or respond back after my initial answer. For billing info and refunds click HERE they will be able to assist you... Robert