Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a Atwood electric ignite water heater, I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a Atwood electric ignite water heater, I replaced the printed circuit board and now it will light but will only stay on for 3 minutes then goes out, it will relight again but only for a few seconds . I replaced the thermostat and EOC still same problem
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

Could be the electrode or a gas pressure issue. I would pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, sometimes it can get gummed up. Next check the electrode and make sure it is not sparking outside of the tip and the ceramic on the electrode is not cracked. I might go ahead and replace that next. If you are still having issues I would have the LP pressure checked with a manometer at the back of the water heater, most RV shops have the manometers and it is about a 15 min check, need to make sure the LP pressure is good, check the connector for the board, make sure no pins are loose in the connector and make sure the main ground is clean and tight. Click HERE for a service manual in case you do not have one... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
replaced the electrod already spark is good
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

Then it is sounds like a LP pressure issue to me, I would also check the gas valve out make sure it is good. You can ohm out the coils, it is in the manual I sent. Also one thing to check is on the burner tube should be a small screw that you can loosen up and move the tube for air flow, I might try and move that and see if it is running. With everything you replaced it sounds like a LP issue, the electrode will sense the presence of the flame and send a signal to the board, if the board does not see the signal it will shut down. Might try moving the gap on the electrode a little closer as well. Verify you have over 11 volts DC on the connector at the board... Clean that gas orifice as well.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

HI... I see you have not selected a rating, if you need more help please let me know...

Robert