Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I hooked up a car battery in my RV that has 700 cold

Customer Question

I hooked up a car battery in my RV that has 700 cold cranking amps but the engine wont crank over can you tell me why
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you happen to have the wiring diagram?
Customer: No I dont have a wiring diagram
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I bought this RV it didnt have a chases Battery in it just two cables for the main battery so i hooked up a car battery to it but it wont crank over
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jump starting from my truck and still nothing .the lights and radio, work but the engine wont crank over
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: I dont know if there is or not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Did you remember to hit the battery disconnect switch so the battery would be "in the loop" again? That is a common problem when the battery is removed. The solenoid reverts back to the "store" position on the battery so no power is available to the system. Try that first and then get back to me if you still need more help and we can try to track this down. All follow ups are included in our fee.