gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Rv Onan generator starts, runs minute. Starts blinking

Customer Question

Rv Onan generator starts, runs for a minute. Starts blinking for a couple of minutes, then dies.
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What is the full model number of the genset?

2. What fault code are you getting?

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will startflashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediatelyrelease 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for(X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the lightvery carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all inorder, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (singledigit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pausebetween digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will have to run it in the morning. I parked it down the road at RV park to get a 50 amp hookup for the night.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

Not a problem.

It is midnight here in KY, and I need to get on to bed, as I have to get up at 6 to go to work.

I will look for your reply as soon as I get home tomorrow night after work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Hank!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

Not a problem at all, my friend. It is what we are here for.

I am sorry I won't be able to be on in the morning, but I work 2 regular jobs, and help here on Just Answer in the evenings.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

Have you checked the fault code yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hank, it appeared to be 22. Spoke to Tiffin about it. There was a loose ground and house batteries dying. Fixed ground and replaced house batteries Saturday.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

I still need the model number.

Are you absolutely sure it is a code 22, and not a code 2?