Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

How to retract slide out on FS-26 when no electricity

Customer Question

how to retract slide out on FS-26 when no electricity available
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Is the motor running or not? One or two batteries? Even with some slight alignment issues this should still close IF there is power to it. Bad batteries can keep this from closing. Let me know what the circumstances are and I can direct you further. If you know the maker of the slide hardware this would help. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or so you still need some additional input from me here?

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in as I don't know if you saw my earlier response a few days ago to see if you resolved this or do you still need some input from me here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Randall. I will get this info to you soon. I could not see any of your Your earlier posts on this question until just now. In order to submit a query on the status I had to submit another justanswer question. It was assigned to Legal. Could you verify that I did not get billed for this status inquiry?Thank you.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

For this one or the legal one? Not sure what you mean.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It must appear if I am crazy. Several things are impairing my ability to communicate with you. First, my Mac Book Air is infected with adware and possibly spyware. This causes unpredictable behavior with every cursor click you use to navigate a website. I am working to get this fixed. We are in the process of having our basement remodeled. This required a lot of physical work and planning effort to make this happen. I had serious eye surgery in May and I was not supposed to do what I did to enable the basement remodel. On top of this I have Chronic Lyme disease and this makes doing simple things very difficult. The reason I submitted the question to justAnswer about the travel trailer is that we have to get this off our residential lot as soon as possible. A couple of years ago I did not retract the slide-out before winter set in. We had a lot of show, and some of this was on top of the deployed slide-out. A large ice-dam formed on top of the slide-out, and melted ice water eventually got inside the trailer and damaged the ceiling paneling. But worse yet, the weight of ice on top of the slide-out actually caused a misalignment of the slide-out with respect to the trailer body. I tried to use the motor that drives the slide-out in and out, but it would not budge. I tried 2 new batteries hooked in parallel and this did not provide enough force to break the slide-out loose from its cocked position. I also tried using the trailer's power using a 120V plug in to an available outlet. This tried to do the job, but soon tripped the 15 amp breaker inside our house at the service panel. My next step was going to be to spray a garage door lubricant to reduce friction where the slide-out is binding on the frame of the trailer. I was looking for a manual method of "cranking in" the slide-out using a wrench, etc. There are other trailers out there that provide a manual retraction in the event that no power is available to the trailer. Apparently Forest River does not provide this with the Flagstaff. I think this is going to require some physical means to break free of whatever is binding the slide-out. However, it is possible that this can only be repaired by having it towed into a repair shop. If I can I will take a couple of digital pix tomorrow showing close-ups of what I am trying to describe. justAnswer provides valuable service through people like you. Unfortunately for me, in addition to the limitations I mentioned above, I am a 68 year old 100% disabled veteran, and this makes it even more difficult to communicate with you quickly and effectively. I have limited vision and hearing and this is a real handiciap. I know justAnswer wants to get everything resolved fast. Well I simply cannot work that fast, and there are many other things going on right now that I have to do, Since I am a past customer of justAnswer, I am requesting that you put me on a slower track with regard to how fast I can do my part in helping you solve my problem. I plan to use justAnswer to help with several things in the future. So please communicate with your management that you are helping an impaired customer who is doing his best, ***** ***** tardiness of progress on this question is on me, not you. They are helping a disabled veteran by showing some patience.I will get back with you by telephone within a few days when I have more detailed information. Thank you for your patience. I will call you soon. - ***** ***** -
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I, too, am a Vet and fully understand. I do think you might want to check in your area for a good mobile tech who can come out and and assist you with this. I would ask some of your local RV parks for some recommendations as they usually know who is doing a good job and is reasonable. If you are able to get some photos for me I can still try to help as much as possible without a "hands on" situation. Thanks for getting back to me.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need more input from me here?