Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 99 pace arrow vision 36B on a ford f53 chassis

Customer Question

I have a 99 pace arrow vision 36B on a ford f53 chassis which has older bilsteins all around, an anti-sway absorber in the front and added 4 airbags on, which did improve ride somewhat. Run them at 40 psi front & 80 rear, which is what it takes to level rear and get the flaps off the ground.
I've put 25k on it, and am taking the kids to illinois along rte 66 this August. Ride is still jarring in front, whole mh wobbles/tips from top pulling out of parking lots & on sharper turns and is pushed around when a semi passes. Total mileage is 53k.
Thought about hellwig or roadmaster anti-sways and possibly upgrading shocks with new bilsteins or koni fsd's. Any suggestion/thoughts? Am I just unrealistic about what this f53 is capable of? Have spent a lot fixing this up (new brakes, heavy duty converter, transmission hd rebuild, new appliances, shades, water pump, ceiling vents, ac, tires) and if I had it to do all over again would have bought a diesel. What is possible?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Two things you mentioned that I think would improve the ride, the Koni shocks and the Roadmaster sway bar. I really like how the Koni shocks handle they should make a difference for you if the current ones are bilsteins. Also the Roadmaster anti-sway is the way to go, in my opinion it is the best you can get as far as anti-sway... I might start with the Konis and see how it rides then consider the Roadmaster sway bar. I also might have an alignment check and make sure the front end is torqued to specs.... IF I owned one I would have the Konis and Roadmaster set up if there was a handling issue....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. Does the air pressure (40 psi front / 80 psi rear) sound about right, too high?
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

I would say on the air bags it is going to be what feels right to you, normally I want to say you run about 50 psi in them but that is dependent on the weight of the RV, I would try the Koni's and then try to adjust the bags until it feels more comfortable...

Hope this helps, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping..

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... I see you have not selected a rating, if you need more help please let me know.... Robert