Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I recently replaced my batteries 3rd time on my journey

Customer Question

Hi
I recently replaced my batteries for the 3rd time on my journey diesel. Each time I'm carefull to shut off the Aux switch, stair switch and the Chassie battery switch as well as the Inverter switch off. Batteries will sometimes be ok for weeks and not dead but more often then not there dead within days. What could be the probable causes?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Are you sure you are hooking them up correctly? Take a photo of the cables and attach it to your post using the paperclip icon and let me take a look.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One thing I know for sure is early on it took it to be serviced and that's when the batteries died. Ever since new once continue to die.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Somebody has something wired up wrong I suspect and that is draining them or shorting them out. If you can get me a photo of the cables on the batteries I may be able to tell you what is wrong.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem came on suddenly and for years we've been living with it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In know when I connect the negative it sparked
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

That shows that something is messed up or shorted out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know when I reconnect it I can hear the carbon monoxide sensor starting up
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

That is normal..........those sensors are always live and will drain batteries over a period of weeks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll be at the camper tomorrow how can I get you a response?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Bookmark this and come right back to it again. I will also make a phone chat offer for you in case you think that would work better

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I am attaching a simplified diagram link for you. Yours may have more than one lead INTO and OUT of the batteries, but the hookup between all of them is the same as this. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mebf9925cb6383681d3a4c70b51ead857H0&w=117&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or so you still need some additional input from me here?