Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

We took the rv out the other day. I had just got the

Customer Question

We took the rv out the other day. I had just got the batteries hooked up for the first time this year. We drove about 6 miles. Stopped for gas and started going again. We made it a mile when the rv shut down. We coasted to a stop. My girl turned the key. The electric fan for the motor kicked on ran for a second then shut off. There were no other indications that she was trying to start the rv. This happened 4-5 times then it stopped doing that. We had the rv towed to a shop that said they r too busy to work on it. I pulled the battery out took it home charged it up. I took it back down to the rv and put it back in. The rv did nothing. There is no head lights horn anything. It's like there is no battery hooked up. Took the batt back out brought it home and it's still fully charged. There's a panel with a bunch of electrical stuff above where my batteries r. I opened it and checked all the fuses. They r all in tack. But they r little fuses. 5 amp 7.5 amp. I don't know what would keep the head lights from working with the batt fully charged or where to look for other things. My rv is a 93 southwind 32 foot 454.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

You need a small digital multimeter for some testing here. Aboout $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. But, first......check the battery disconnect solenoid switch to see if that is on. When you removed the batteries, it went to the "store" position and took the batteries out of the electrical loop. Sometimes it can be just something that simple. If not, get back to me and we can do some easy testing. That solenoid is what "clicks" when you hit the switch. Near the entry door or on the overhead near the door or on the dash. Get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The disconnect switches don't make that clicking sound any more. Where is the solenoid located.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Under the front hood on the driver's side. Black cover over them about 14" square. Take that off and they should be in there. Two of them. One for the coach and one for the chassis. Made by Intellitec most of the time or RV Custom Products. I will make a phone chat offer for you in case we need to do some testing here.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or so you still need some additional input from me here?