Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

I have a 1997 Spartan chassis AC system problem. The

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Spartan chassis AC system problem. The compressor clutch will not engage. No 12v to it but it works if jumpered to a 12v source. Te ternary pressure switch has 4 connectors, checking continuity, one side is closed the other is open. Denso repair manual says they should both be closed with the system at normal pressure. I can't get the system to"normal" pressure since I can't get the compressor to run to charge the system. I connect the 134A trank and get 60-70 psi pressure on the system and the one side still will not close. I have replaced the switch twice. I jumper two leads to the switch that go to the clutch relay and the clutch works. Any ideas what is going on?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I have had to recharge the ac slowly with the compressor jumped to engage it on some models.You might slowly jump the compressor a little at a time while trying to refill the ac to the proper level of freon and proper pressures then see if the ac operates properly from there.If you have already tried this and this does not work at all let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did as you suggested with intermittently jumpering the clutch and was able to get 3.8 lbs of 134A into the system (charge is 4.2 lbs per Denso manual for this model) but the compressor would still not stay on. BTW, I had previously switched the fan/clutch relays and the fan worked but the clutch did not, checked both 10amp inline fuses and they are good. Any other ideas?

Did the fan work with either relay installed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fan worked with either relay. The relays are the same number so that is why I switched them. the clutch relay in the fan plug and the fan ran, but the clutch still did not engage with the good fan relay in the clutch relay plug. Returned them to the original plugs and the fan worked but the clutch still failed to engage.,

O.k.,unfortunately with my info being limited on this model here I will have to see if others here can assist further and will open your question here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 6 months ago.

Hi . We can start with this . This is a generic schematic for a Trinary switch system