Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

1996 adventurer 34RQ - recent purchase - Slideout awning has

Customer Question

1996 adventurer 34RQ - recent purchase - Slideout awning has had the two outboard mounting bars relocated about one inch higher than original. I find water pooling in the center of awning when it rains causing pressure to yank out the screws on these mounting bars. I would like to remount the bars about one inch lower than factory to help increase the slope to move the water. What is in the wall that can hold the screws? Currently, they have pulled out in both the original and raised locations. Thanks.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Normally all that is in back of the wall that holds the awning brackets on is the wood frame, over time if water gets inside it can cause the type of condition you are having. What I do sometimes for this which is a trick is get some zip ties just a bit smaller then the hole, I normally put two in and then the bolt in the center and hand tighten the bolts up, the zip or wire ties will grab what ever structure is left and help hold the bracket on, it works pretty well.

IF you want to lower the arms and inch I would start with drilling a small pilot holes, make sure you get the frame. Seal all the holes with some silicone before running the bolts in. Hard to say how much damage is on that frame and I would hand tighten the bolts so there is no chance to strip them out... Hope this helps some.. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert