Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Have 2002Monaco Windsor motorhome with ISC 8.3 Cummins While

Customer Question

Have 2002Monaco Windsor motorhome with ISC 8.3 Cummins While driving motor stalls and dash goes out completely dead no power . Wait about 5 minutes after coming to a stop and it will start and everything works
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

This sounds like it can be voltage related if the dash is going dead. Start at the battery and check the cables, make sure the cables are clean and tight and the main ground to the frame is clean and tight, follow the cables to the alternator and make sure the cable is not resting on the frame or a screw has caught the cable, have seen that a few times. Next what I might do is get a volt meter and verify your voltage on the back of the alternator, at 1500 RPMS you should have over 14 volts. I would also go to the chassis fuse box and check all the connections and grounds. IF the ATC light is coming on prior to the engine stalling please let me know. My feelings are loose connection and I would be make sure the cables at the battery are tight, you should not e able to move them at all.... IF the dash was not losing ALL power then I would lean towards a problem with the engine causing the issue, but since the dash power is missing it sounds like a voltage problem... Hope this helps some... Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Some sugest it could be the ignition relay have heard other having the same problem engine stalling but can not find no fix posted having heard people say they have the same problem you would have come across it at some point
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

OK

That is possible but have not seen that happen to much, the issues I have seen with some of the Monaco's is the way they route the cables they can catch on the frame and rub and create a short, also need to check the connectors on the cables at the batteries, have seen some where you think they are tight enough but are not. I would be checking all the cables at the alternator, battery and then the main fuse box for the chassis.

IF you want to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Knowing I have heard of other people having this problem in other forums I have read and not hearing what they did to solve the problem could you enquior with other techs you may know to see if they may have come across this scenario. I did check all connections at battery removed it had it checked it check ok cleaned terminals and reinstalled check to see if it was charging it was at 13.75 . Have not gone directly to altinator to measure will do tonight.Do you know wiring wise what the ignition and dash share as common power supply .
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

It would be difficult for me to say where any relays are without a print, on the older units sometimes they used a solenoid for the ignition or a relay on many of the Monaco's that relay could be in the rear under the engine access or mounted to to the frame below the bed access. I am going to put your question back up for other experts... Robert