Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

My LP gas refrigerator works fine in my driveway after I

Customer Question

My LP gas refrigerator works fine in my driveway after I clean out the burner, and gets very cold. When I pull my camper over the highway, it degrades in performance pretty quickly, and the temperature rises. When I remove and examine the burner, I can dump out a bit of rust particles from it, and this seems to be the problem. Have you ever heard of this? No one else I ask has this problem. The trailer is a 2012, and has done this since new.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Two things...........clean the flue above the burner and burner area at least once a year. Tap on the flue with the handle of a hammer or screwdriver until all the rust and debris falls out and then blow it clean with compressed air. And have the LP pressure adjusted at this time as well. Many people neglect this. It drops as the regulator ages and the flame isn't as hot and so the fridge won't cool as well. Some regulators aren't adjustable, but Marshall makes a good one that is. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow u ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I just blow the compressed air up into the flue through the small hole over the burner, or should I do some disassembly first? And for the regulator pressure, is this something I can check? Do I need a special gauge? I really don't want to have to take the trailer to a mechanic just for that check if I can avoid it.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

You use a manometer for the regulator. Most shops have one and can test this for you. Or perhaps just buy a new one for about $25 or so. Marshall makes a good one. Easy to change out. I would try to just blow out the burner first, but if you feel confident in taking it apart then do so. Just be sure you get it back the same way. I don't think that is needed here, but I have seen some construction debris inside the INLET side of the gas valve plugging up the screen on a few fridges. If you still have an issue once you clean this that may be the next area to try. The flue and burner are supposed to be cleaned every year.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just ordered a manometer with 2-day delivery, should be here Wednesday or Thursday.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

O.K...............very handy to have! When you get it you can test the pressure. You want to see about 12 WCI and if it is low, you can take the cover off the adjustment screw (if you have an adjustable version) and turn it clockwise to raise it up. Stop at 12 WCI. Be sure you get the port closed tightly again where you tested this.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you need additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I received the manometer, and the pressure at the burner was over 14 lbs. Even though this is high, and I was expecting a low reading, I decided to replace the regulator. I ordered the Marshall one you recommended, and it should be here in a day or two.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

That would be 14 water column inches on that. Please let me know if you need more later. If you still have an issue the jet or inlet to the gas valve may need some cleaning out. They can get some construction debris in there sometimes and give an erratic performance.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Did the new regulator solve the problem? Let me know if we need to dig deeper into this issue.