Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My slide out and landing jacks are not working? My battery

Customer Question

My slide out and landing jacks are not working? My battery is showing fully charged on the wall switch. My 5th wheel in a 1999 hornet with one slide
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Whose system do you have? What happens when you try to put the rooms out or operate the landing gear? And are you plugged into shore power or not?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Plugged into power. No power getting to the switches
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

I suspect that the shortstop breakers may have tripped due to low voltage. I am attaching a link to a photo of them. They by code will be less than 18" from the batteries. Copper post and silver post and usually tied together by a copper strip. Small black button you push in to reset them. Many times they have a red cover over them. Pull that off and check those buttons. Hard to see as they are on the end. That should correct this if that happened. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shortstop+breaker&view=detailv2&&id=FF1DB9A9E4D0D1A7540EECAAC90C3BA5FC88C3D3&selectedIndex=0&ccid=YM3fXbkk&simid=608042850437172128&thid=OIP.M60cddf5db924d363dd03f6ba05cd33d0o0&ajaxhist=0

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

If you only have one battery this will keep being a problem. Units with slideouts need at least two batteries and the larger the better. Slidesouts and landing gear take a lot of power and will run one battery down quickly. Try to be plugged in to shore power whenever you can before you operate either of these. That would keep this from happening most of the time. If you don't have a small digital multimeter that would be a good thing to get as you can diagnose most electrical problems with that. About $20 and easy to use.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found the black button on the shortstop beakers and they are not pushed out, could the beakers be bad.?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Could be.........you can jump over them to check this. Or if you have a small multimeter this can be checked. IF you have a battery disconnect switch you need to check that as well. It may be in the wrong position.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Did you push those buttons in? They stay in the same position either way. It just pushes the contacts back inside.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah I pushed both of them in. Everything worked about a month ago when I last used them
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gonna try and jump the wires and see what happens
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

You may have too low a voltage in the battery. If you can find a meter this is easy to check.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery shows it has a full charge. I'm stump on his one other than put new beakers on it
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Did you jump over the shortstop breakers? Hard to test this without a meter as you don't know if you have good voltage or not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't yet, I need to get a meter and check it out, Before I do anything else.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Yes...........that would speed things up here and we can find out the problem.