Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile

In have a 1984 chevy rv 454 hydroboost with ac. How the heck

Customer Question

Hi in have a 1984 chevy rv 454 hydroboost with ac.
How the heck are the belts routed? Can't find definitive guide online.
Can't seem to make these Napa belts work:
Are these guys wrong... any of them?
HELP from the road!!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Take a look for a belt diagram under the hood. Usually a print on the AC mounting bracket and that may be covered with dirt. If you can't locate one, get back to me and let me know how many air pumps you or two. I should be able to come up with something.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I am attaching a link to one that I think is yours. Print out a copy so you have it. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

IF yours are slightly different................they should at least be the same pulleys involved.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't think this is correct. I put on the 2nd and 3rd tracks but the first one I think is supposed to be a redundant power steering to crankshaft belt.
The 1st belt is way too long.
The 2nd belt fit on: P/S, A.C, Fan, Crank (matches your picture)
The 3rd belt fit on: A.I.R. Pump, Alternator, Fan, Crank (matches your picture)If you can help me figure out what belt goes on the inside from P/S to crank, I'd really appreciate it.
Your answer was unfortunately not seen until today.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Did you get the belts based on the OEM part numbers or off the old belts?

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Did you look at the drawing on the left?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One belt remained, one completely disappeared and one broke but remained in the fan cowling but had no numbers.
The local NAPA store looked up the part numbers for me but had to try to do it for a C30 not a P30. Maybe that's why they sold me one wrong belt. The other was REALLY tight but made it onto the second slot after I used main force to get it over the A/C pulley.
I have not been able to find a P-30 lashup anywhere on the internet. I was about 10 minutes away from abandoning the project when I was finally able to slip the middle belt on.
If I get the small redundant belt, I will have to get a bigger belt for the middle because the P/S pump will be adjusted out to tighten the small belt. At that point I would no longer be able to get the middle belt on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry a 1984 P30 lashup... the 85 1/2 I've come across several times. :(
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

The belt that is closest to the engine has to go on first. And it should be one of those diagrams as those were also earlier engines that used that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It can't be the same because it shows the 1st belt going just to the A/C, leaving an open crank slot (1st one).
Why would they just run a belt from the P/S to the A/C and leave a crank pulley open?
Even if they included the A/C in the lashup for the 1st slot, you'd also have to include the water pump, which only has 2 slots, so no place for that belt.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I know it can be hard to might want to call in a mobile tech that has personal knowledge about changing these out. I will opt out of this and allow another tech to offer something if they can.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another thing they don't seem to show here on the 85 1/2 picture... The outer crank pulley has a larger diameter than the inner two.
I was so frustrated... could not get a mobile mechanic on the road... I'm really lucky I got it before dark. We made it to camp at 11:00pm after leaving at 10:00am. Should have been there by 3!
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 4 months ago.

hi . are you still requiring assistance ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you can help me I'll still take it. I need to get to a place where I can order two belts by part number that will fit my motor for the first and second slot.
I don't think I need a new third slot belt (alt/AIR pump/fan/crank). That one looks fine.

do you know if the air conditioning system on your M/H is factory GM or an add on aftermarket system ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can check on this stuff but not until end of next week... leaving town on business

okay . Let me know . :-)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This guy was in exactly the same spot as me, eight years ago. The description sounds EXACTLY like what I have: there any way we can ping him for his solution?
If not, I fear I will have to start over, ie remove all the belts and than from the inside out, buy a v-belt for the PS and crank, then one for the PS, crank, water, pump, and A/C. I think the AIR pump, alternator, and crank belt is ok.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will probably have to buy extra belts for multiple sizes as I go through this process. It is about to get ugly!