Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My water heater lit 2 weeks ago. and now I try to turn it on

Customer Question

My water heater lit 2 weeks ago. and now I try to turn it on and it (the light flickers but does not go out like it is lit.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

To start on this go to the outside access panel and tell me if you see a sticker on it with a make and model number, it should be an Atwood or Suburban but need the model number. Follow ups are included.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

IF you would like to do a phone service I can make that available for you, there is an added charge for that however it might be quicker. IF not that is fine, I can help you in this format... Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
CGA BE
330079 ***********
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

When you go to start the water heater with the switch do you hear anything at all, it should be trying to spark. You can leave the cover down and see if it sparks at all when the switch is turned on.....

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I DONT SEE ANY SPARK
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

Under that outside access panel you should have a circuit board, if the circuit board has a fuse on it make sure it is not blown, pull the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, sometimes this connection point can be a weak link. Look for a brown wire coming off the circuit board and tell me if you see a clear plastic shield over part of the brown wire. Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHEN I UNPLUGGED THE FUSE AND PLUGGED IT BACK IN. IT CLICKED NOT AS LOUD OR AS LONG AS WHEN
IT LIGHTS. JUST WHAT I WOULD CALL THE PRECURSER TO IT NORMALLY IGNITING. I DIDNT SEE A CLEAR PLASTIE SHIELD
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

Pull the connector on the board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, if it still will not light off I would have a RV shop test the board, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad or not. I can give you a service manual as well that would explain the operation, if the switch is ON and it is not firing off then I suspect the connection may need to be cleaned up or the board is at fault...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK THA KS IT WONT LIGHT
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

SO you say it wont light, if it still is not sparking I would have the circuit board tested, if it is sparking let me know. We have power at the switch so it is not a lack of voltage, the board should send a signal to the electrode to spark, so if it is not sparking I suspect the board is at fault.

IF you have more questions please feel free to contact me, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

HI I see you have not selected a rating, if you need more help please let me know.....

Robert