Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', RV Mechanic
Experience:  Ford Cert. Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

What color wires are on the connections starter relay

Customer Question

What color wires are on the connections for the starter relay located behind the battery on my 1996 Minnie Winnie DL. I changed the relay and lost the paper I had written the wiring diagram with the colors on
Category: RV
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 12 months ago.

are you referring to the Starter Relay that engages the Starter when the Key is held to "crank position"?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think so It's the only one on the front radiator mount behind the battery. I have a Large red wire about size 2 Two yellow wires one a size 14 the other a size 10, a gray fusible link and a double connector that will fit over both main terminals.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also a pink and blue size 14 for the relay control. I know where that goes.

IF this is the Starter Relay that engages the Starter when the Key is held to "crank position", then there should be a direct Battery (+) Cable from the Battery
That direct Battery (+) cable goes to one side of the Large Studs
There should be a large Cable that goes down to Starter
That large Cable goes to the other Large Stud
The other wires with "large" holes will go to the direct Battery (+) Large Stud
Depending on "which Starter Relay was used" there should be a small wire that goes to the small Stud that has Voltage + when the Key is held in Crank Position
This wire engages the Starter Relay...should be pink

The Relay is only engaged when the Key is turned to Crank Position........
So the Relay will not power anything else, but the Starter

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
According to the wiring I received from Ford tech a large red wire goes to another battery located under the stairs. The double connection comes from the battery. where do the yellow wires go and the gray fusiable link?

as I posted..........The Relay is only engaged when the Key is turned to Crank Position........
So, any other wires that need to be "hot" (constant voltage) all the time would connect where the direct Battery (+) cable goes
They use one side of the Starter Relay "large posts" for a junction for Battery Cables & Power to other components
Just be sure the Cable that goes down to the Starter (you will have to physically look) connects to the "other" Large Stud
When the Key is turned to Crank Position, the Starter Relay connects internally the Battery (+) & the Starter.....nothing more

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry I forgot to mention it's an E350 Ford chassis. 1996

yes....I figured that.........probably a 460 or 7.3 diesel.......

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yup 460 gas

thanks...........The Starter Relay connects only when the Key is turned to Crank position

.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yup sorry I found the red wire going to the rear battery. It comes off the battery direct. sorry this isn't helping I still have two yellow wires and a gray fusiable link. they all have large terminals. where do they go?

please reread my answers
ALL Large ring / terminals go to the Large Stud that has the Battery (+) cable connected to it
NOT to the Starter Cable that goes down to Starter

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok I'll try that. They ALL have large rings except the pink and blue one for relay control. Have a great day. I have to go to work.

let me know if you need further.........

thanks

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 11 months ago.

did you need more information?

please respond

thanks