HDGene
HDGene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Technician w/L1 Advanced Drivability certifications
285738

Have 03 pace arrow work horse chassi worked fine when we

Customer Question

have 03 pace arrow work horse chassi worked fine when we parked it but now trans failure light is on an only have 1 &r ?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases this can be due to damaged or chewed up wiring leading to or at the transmission itself needing repaired.I have seen models like this sit for a period of time and have seen wiring corrode or break away from components like the transmission as well as in some areas rodents chew through the wiring with the wiring needing repaired or replaced.I have also seen electronic solenoids in transmissions fail from sitting as debris can build in it when last operated before it had sat and can cause a stick or non functional issue with the solenoid.

The first thing that has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked in all computers using a scan tool or computer that will plug into your model here and can communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This is usually best done by a dealer or repair center that works on this model here.This will help knowing the codes set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HI
THIS DOES NOT HELP. ESPECIALLY SINCE I CAN NOT FIND ANYONE TO WORK ON THIS SITUATION AS I HAVE CALLED AROUND PRIOR TO ASKING YOU. CAN YOU CHECK WITH SOMEONE ELSE THERE, BRAINSTORMING IS SOME TIMES A HELP. THANK YOU

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THANK YOU ANY ADVICE/HELP IS SO APPRECIATED. WE ARE ALL PACKED FOR VACATION, STARTED OUT AND THIS HAPPENED. THANK YOU FOR HELP. OH---THIS IS THE WIFE, MY HUSBAND IS A VERY GOOD MECHANIC SO YOUR HELP CAN BE IMPLIMENTED. THE WIFE. THANKS
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Hello, what kind of powertrain is in this rv? Chevy or ford? WHat engine size and how many miles are on the vehicle? Has the rv sat for awhile prior to being used and this concern? Is the transmission fluid level full and not smell burnt ?Nice and bright red?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
CHEVY 8.1 19000MI. YES IT SAT ALL WINTER WORKED LAST FALL, TRANY IS FULL &NICE RED
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Ok when you only have one forward and one reverse gear range, the transmission is in a fail safe mode and might also be shifting hard into gear. Since it worked fine before it was stored for awhile I would inspect the wiring harness coming off the transmission and any underhood wiring. More than likely a rodent has made itself a home inside the engine/trans area. Look for any chewed wiring and evidence of nesting or dropping. ANy wiring found chewed up would need to be repaired and retest the operation

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I CHECKED FOR RODENT WIRES COULDNT FIND ANY,IF IT WENT INTO LIMP MODE THE ONLY WAY TO CK IF STILL APROBLEM IS TO DISCOCECT THE BATTERY,OR THROUGH THE SCANNER ,CANT FIND THE OBD2 CONNECTOR
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

It should be under the drivers side steering wheel column area, they like to hide them on the rv application, sometimes it is tied up and not an easy access for the datalink connection. Most common area is in the engine bay area, if it has a doghouse, pop it open to look at the topside of the engine where the transmission meets the rear of the engine, follow the wiring from the transmission.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I WILL HAVE TO DO THIS TOMMORROW,GETING LATE FOR TODAY BUT I WILL CK THANK YOU,IWILL LET YOU KNOW
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

No problem, just let me know when you can

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?