Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I GE 16th atwood water heater the propane starts and stops

Customer Question

I GE 16th atwood water heater the propane starts and stops and the electric doesn't heat up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The electric part doesn't work he gets only lukewarm and a propane part starts and stops
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Wanted to talk to somebody first before I tear it apart
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: That's the only thing I have wrong with it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.
Hi my name is***** you get me the FULL model number of the water heater, seems to have some numbers missing, should be on a sticker located under the outside access panel.Also what is the exact issue, not heating on AC power and and not heating on LP but it is lighting off?Also so you know there is a phone service for an added fee, if you would like to do that please let me know and I can send you the request, if not this format will work but it might take some going back and forth...Robert (follow ups are included)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not heating on ac power just Luke warm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please heats up good
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lp heats up good
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.
OK I am going to give you a service manual, I was hoping for the full model before giving this to you, normally the AC element will have the thermostat and high limit cutout, so you want to make sure the high limit is not tripped. Click HERE and have a look. On one model there is a relay that get a 12 volt singal from the circuit board when you hit the switch for electric, could be that relay as well, if you want to verify the model number and get back to me that would be great, if not look the manual over, it will show the heating element and high limit, it would be located opposite of the outside access panel.... Robert