Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

We have a 2009 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler. Serial

Customer Question

We have a 2009 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler. Serial #4YDF299229R800334. Our 12V system is not working. We just purchased new batteries (2 6V golfcart batteries) and they only lasted overnight. When the battery disconnect switch is out, we only show between 9 volts to 10.8 volts (depending on what's on inside). (We had a volt meter plugged into the 12V receptacle in the bedroom.) When this switch is pushed in, it shows a full charge on the batteries and 13.5 volts available. The refrigerator will not light and stay lit on the GAS setting. We ran the generator for about 6 hours but when we turned it off overnight, the next morning the generator would not start and the light showed that our batteries were empty. Is there a phone number that we can call and talk with you directly? We could sure use some help in diagnosing our problem. My email is***@******.*** or our phone # ***** *****(###) ###-#### ***** in advance for any help you can give us. Gary and Cheryl Haga
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

We can do a phone service if you like but there is an extra or added fee for that, I will send you a request, if that will not work then I can try and help you in this format..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

SO just so I am clear when you have the disconnect OFF you have 13.5 volts and when the switch is ON you have 9 to 10.8 volts?

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like you have a draw, what I would do is go to the main fuse box and pull all the fuses and see if the voltage goes up with all the fuses pulled, this will help narrow down the circuit. IF the voltage does not change then go to the battery and see what else is wired directly to the battery, some items may not go through the main disconnect, they would be wired directly, keep the main cables hooked up and see what does not work, many times the slide-room, landing gear, awnings or even the fridge can be wired directly to the battery. One thin I have seen over the years is if you have a high humidity switch for the fridge and it is ON it can suck down the batteries really fast. There is also another test you can do with a test light and if you want me to explain that please let me know, I have to run out on a call and will be gone for a few mins, if you respond I will get your message and respond when I can...

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am available if needed... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help please let me know... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Robert. We followed your advice and removed all fuses one at a time to see if we could isolate the draw but it did not help. The only anomaly we have that might be connected is that the refrigerator will not light stay lit on the "gas" setting. We have a call into a mobile RV specialist next time he is in the area to see if he can help us fix this problem. Thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

IF you would like me to try and help you with the fridge part please get me the make and model. IF you had low voltage it would stop working. One thing I would like to check is to see if your fridge has a high humidity switch, the reason is even though the fridge is OFF if you have that switch and it is ON it can drain the batteries pretty fast.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

If you no longer need help that is fine, I can request a refund for you, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only would get credit when you select a rating, I want to be sure you do not have a high humidity switch for the fridge as that is something that could draw on the batteries if it was on, not all fridges have them... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, my husband is down at our store this morning and when he comes up I will show him your answer and get you the model and serial # ***** our refrigerator to see if in fact we do have the high humidity switch you are speaking of. I appreciate your follow up with us.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

No problem at all..... Let me know I want to be sure it is not something simple....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. It's a Norcold Serial #11407816. Model #N811 group code 080514. 1500 BTUH. We put the camper on our big battery charger after we got through pulling all the fuses and turned the refrigerator setting to "Off". The voltage has remained at 11.2 since we did that. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

I would have the batteries load tested to start make sure they are not discharged at all. When you plug into power the power converter should be charging the battery and you should have around 13.5 volts and then it should maintain around 12.8 volts. IF that is not happening it could be a loose, corroded connection, bad converter.

That model fridge does not have a humidity switch, it is automatic when the fridge is turned ON.

I might pull all the other cables from the battery and see if the voltage goes back up, some items such as the jacks, slide-room may not be wired direct to the fuse panel inside.

I would think the mobile tech would be able to pick up on this pretty quick on what is going on. Once the battery voltage gets below 11 volts the fridge will struggle to stay running on LP.

Sometimes it can be a challenge to diagnose online, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, if you would like a refund on this please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating. Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. Had one more question. Our mobile RV repairman is booked up and won't be able to get to us for about 4 or 5 days. Is there anything we can try or test for in the meantime that could tell us definitively whether or not we have a bad converter?
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

IF the converter is working you should see about 13.5 volts AT the batteries when you plug in then the voltage should drop some and maintain around 12.8 volts, no lower then 12 volts. IF the batteries were not getting charged it could be the entire problem, when you are plugged in the converter makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. IF the battery is not being charged the converter is directly responsible. Sometimes on the cable from the converter to the battery they will use a breaker below is a picture, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and could be on the frame, if you see any I would verify voltage on each post to chassis ground, the voltage should be very close, if the voltage is higher on one side then that could be the problem. You also might have more then one, sometimes they use them for the slides and landing gear. Hope this helps some more... Robert