Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

If I have Solar Panels on my RV roof and I disconnect them

Customer Question

If I have Solar Panels on my RV roof and I disconnect them for a few days from the charge controller does that damage them? I am asking because I need to disconnect them for a week while doing some work and wondering if that is safe to do having them disconnected but in the sun.
Category: RV
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if the solar panel isn't connected to a circuit then it can't produce any current as its essentially open circuit so it will be fine to leave them disconnected during your maintenance

in just the same way leaving a light bulb unscrewed doesn't hurt it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

no problem

anything else I can help with?

Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you