Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 9 yr. old 6 gal. Atwood hot water heater that was

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 9 yr. old 6 gal. Atwood hot water heater that was not heating very well so I changed the element and it produced warm water for a short time then does not. What should I be checking?
Thanks,
Chris
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
HI my name is***** you have the model number of the Atwood? IF you go outside and pull down the access cover and pull up on the pressure relief valve is the water VERY hot? Also what happens when you run it on LP? Do you have the same issue?Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Follow ups are included. We can go back and forth as much as needed, also there is a phone service option for an extra fee, if you would like to try that please let me know and I can send the request.Robert
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Model no. GC6AA-10E. Water from pressure relief valve is cold.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
OK So is the same thing happening when you run it on LP? Can you run it on LP for a bit and see if the water gets hot coming out the pressure relief? Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
This is going to matter if it is heating on LP and not AC power, if it is not heating on AC power and you replaced the element could be a thermostat, ECO issue, click HERE for a service manual.IF it is not heating on both sources then I suspect the circuit board could be at fault or you have a bad thermostat for the LP and AC side, they should esch have there own t-stat and ECO which is a high limit cutout. The water in the tank should be VERY hot when you pull up on the pressure relief, check the manual you will see the Thermostat and High limit for the AC side..... Click HERE for a service manual.The high limit would have a reset...
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Sorry link did not go through, click HERE
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Stand by on this I am looking at something now for the AC side.... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
OK So if this is a 10 E then you should have a relay for the AC side, the relay receives 12 volts from the circuit board and energizes the relay. Click HERE and see page 7, so when the switch is ON for AC power you should have DC voltage on the white wire, through the board and then on the yellow wire going into the relay, if you have 12 volts on the yellow wire and replaced the element bad relay. IF you have no power on the whit wire from the switch bad switch or no voltage going to switch. IF you have power on the white going into the board but it is not coming out on the yellow then the board would be at fault. Pretty sure yours has that relay. IF it is heating on LP then I suspect that is what is going on. Hope this makes sense... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi... I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help please let me know... Robert