Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

We have a 2014 Apex and the electrical box and converter

Customer Question

We have a 2014 Apex and the electrical box and converter gets really hot...and the more appliances we run the hotter it one time it has gotten so hot it has melted some of the coating on the has never blown any fuses or tripped circuit breakers. What could be causing this problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is***** it is getting that hot and is melting the wires then it is not normal, could be a poor connection, bad battery wrong size wiring or the power converter. I would start and have the battery load tested, if the battery was in poor condition or had a bad cell the power converter would work extra hard and would get hot, check the cables at the battery as well. Check the cables on the converter and fuse panel make sure nothing is loose. The converter will make the DC voltage and charge the battery I would get a meter and see what the voltage is at the battery, if it was going over 14.5 volts it would indicate a problem with the converter. It could be overcharging. I might have a shop test out the converter as well to see if it is at fault. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Follow ups are included... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.
HI, I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please feel free to contact me... Robert