Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Slide will not retract. Hydraulic motor runs and seems to

Customer Question

Slide will not retract. Hydraulic motor runs and seems to switch gears when pressing and and out button. manual overide( pumping the dewald motor also does not retract slide. Power is good, tried boosting with vehicle and am plugged into house.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Be sure that the valves are closed. Those are the knobs on the manifold. That is the most common problem with this model. Let me know if you aren't sure about that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Valve is closed
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Then a solenoid must be jammed as that is about the only thing that would do this IF there is plenty of fluid. Is the tank full or not?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Topped up fluid couple of weeks ago and no visible leaks. Solenoid seems to function as motor sounds different when switching between in and out.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Doubtful the pump is bad.........especially if it went out fine. May be some debris in the solenoid. Are you sure that the valve is closed? I am attaching a link to the Dewald manual for this. Print it out so you have it for later. http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towablelanding/slideouts/powergear/Ops%20manual%20for%20Dewald%20hydraulic%20slide%20out%20systems.pdf
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
See page 8. You have more than one knob to do here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks i have referenced this doc previously. Not sure what you mean by more than one knob. The diagram references A which I think is the knob( valve) and B which is the handpump level. Hand pump does not work as I turned the valve 2 turns and pumped for ten minutes with no results. Just went to tighten breather cap and realized the cap is in two pieces broken, not sure if i have a tight seal. Would this cause the problem? If so is there a quick fix
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
See #1 on that instruction.............did you turn those slotted setscrews?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
No quickfix if you can't manually retract this. Switching the lines can work, but not considered a good idea. Messy and can be dangerous if there is pressure in the line.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had to get the slide in so I had my wife hold the in button and I manually pushed the slide back in, probably ruined my back but had to act. Dont want to touch anything more until I get back to a garage. Please see figure 7 on page 8 as this is my pump and no "A" set screws are shown. There are 3 setscrews but pretty sure should not touch. Do you agree?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Probably if you aren't sure........I think you will find a bad solenoid here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate your help however I am not sure I am any farther ahead with the problem. I did like your prompt replies
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
If you have a bad solenoid as I suspect then I don't know what else I could have told you. If you look back, that was one of the first things I mentioned. Please keep in mind I have been repairing these systems in my own shop- for many years. That wasn't some wild guess I made.