Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

How to troubleshoot the step on a class A rv?

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
HI my name is***** would do is access the step motor, disconnect the 12 volt connector coming from the control box to the motor, get a charged 12 volt drill battery or regular battery and some wires and try jumping the motor direct, if the motor does not move it is bad, make sure you swap the jumper wires as the step should run in or out. IF the step does not move try smacking it a few times sometimes they can seize up. IF the motor runs go to the control box and check for power, the control box will have a plug on it, make sure it is getting power, when you open the step you should hear a click from that control box, if the control box has power and nothing is happening then it could be at fault. IF you have NO power to the control box I would recheck all your house and interior fuses. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How to troubleshoot the step on a class A rv.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Did you not see my reply??? What I would do is access the step motor, disconnect the 12 volt connector coming from the control box to the motor, get a charged 12 volt drill battery or regular battery and some wires and try jumping the motor direct, if the motor does not move it is bad, make sure you swap the jumper wires as the step should run in or out. IF the step does not move try smacking it a few times sometimes they can seize up. IF the motor runs go to the control box and check for power, the control box will have a plug on it, make sure it is getting power, when you open the step you should hear a click from that control box, if the control box has power and nothing is happening then it could be at fault. IF you have NO power to the control box I would recheck all your house and interior fuses. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Hi... I see you have not selected a rating, if you need more help on this please let me know... Robert