gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Water damage to cabover on a 92 fourwinds JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

water damage to cabover on a 92 fourwinds
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: found a bit of wood damage on an rv I just bought and need an adhesive to rebond the outside skin to the new foam and structure
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just some of the demo...the roof is supposed to have been repaired...but they didn't repair any of the wood
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
So is the damage on the front or the part over the cab? Can you attach a photo of the damaged area to your post? I have done a number of these in my own shop and can make some recommendations for you. I will also make a phone chat offer for you. Some customers prefer this.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
heres what I've uncovered so far.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Part of the wood framing around the window is gone. I'm sure I can fix that.The part I'm concerned about is reattaching the outer fiberglass skin to the framing and the insulating panels. What adhesive can I use that holds well and doesn't cost $200 a gallon?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Quite a project here! I did one not long ago that was just about like that. How is the wood over the cab? If that is bad you will need to take that framework out and do the bottom and then put it back in again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes that is all out ..What adhesives do you use?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry I see the pictures cam out upside down
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
We attach the fiberglass to the luan with top grade silicone or contact cement, depending on the size and location. We use Loctite XL for the adhesive for wood to wood and wood to aluminum and self tapping screws.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
k you aren't helping me much but thanks anyway
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Way better over the phone, but you didn't request that. Maybe a local shop or mobile tech can help.