gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Good day, we have a 2000 bounder with electrical problems now.

Customer Question

good day, we have a 2000 bounder with electrical problems now. the motor home has sat for about three months. I installed a 30 amp circuit in my garage to supply power to the RV to keep everything working as advertised. when powered up for the first time, the microwave oven fuse blew and I heard a pop. I shut down all the breakers on the PowerTek circuit breaker panel, but I still have power to two of the "general" receptacle circuits. I am an electrician by trade, so I checked the incoming power, which was 119.0 volts. I also checked the generator circuit breakers and the 12 volt system appears to be working correctly. so the question is, how am I receiving 119.0 volts on two circuits when all the breakers are off, only on shore power? All of the receptacles from the cockpit back to the rear bedroom cabin seem to have power. someone said to change the transfer switch, but I cant see that as the source of the problem as that only switches between shore and generator power. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
Does this coach have a 30 amp shore cordd (3 prongs) or something else?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has the 30 amp three prong with no extension cords. I have two identical cords that came with the RV and tried both with the same circumstances
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
Perhaps you are getting some power out of the inverter those plugs. Check that as well. That would be getting power from the house batteries IF you aren't plugged into shore power OR using the generator.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the inverter unplugged and I removed both coach batteries and the problem remains.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we had a roof leak on our move from Arizona and have since had that leak repaired by an RV shop. it was mostly confined to the bathroom area around the sky light if that helps you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am trying to figure out where in the coach power could be back tracking prior to the circuit breaker panel to give me power at almost all the receptacles in the coach.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do you know of anyone that sells a wiring diagram for this model RV?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
You can get a complete set of wiring diagrams from Fleetwood Customer Serivce by calling them at(###) ###-####and giving them your FIN number. The only way this can bypass the load center is from the automatic transfer switch. Is this stilll plugged into shore power or not? 30 amp shore cord with 3 prongs?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is still on shore power and using the three prong power cord. in your estimation, how can the receptacle circuits bypass the circuit breaker panel? the way I understand the transfer switch is used to transfer the load from the generator when shore power is returned and the generator is taken off line.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in your previous response about getting the wiring diagrams, what is the FIN number you refer to. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
You can find that in a wardrobe closet usually. That is the number that Fleetwood uses to identify each unit they build.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, I will check the closets to see if I can find a tag or something.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
It is going to say that and give a number. That tag also has all the colors and trim things on there. Kind of like a new car sticker.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have you any ideas as tot why the transfer switch is causing the problem? kinda need some kind of an answer as i need to get off to work here shortly.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
Not for sure, but you can do some testing on that with a digital multimeter and see what is going on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can do that, but it will have to be tomorrow before I can let you know. how do I contact you again on this? or do I just reopen this thread?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
Bookmark this and you can come right back to it again later......
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will do.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.
10-4