Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I opened the cold water connection to the hot water heater.

Customer Question

I opened the cold water connection to the hot water heater. Do I also need to close the bypass and open another valve, before turning on the heater?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I don't know what else to tell you. I opened the cold water valve. I think it overfilled the water heater tank because water was pouring out on the outside of the unit. If you need I can send you a photo of the hot water heater, it had your email address.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't think a 'fix' is needed. I just don't know the proper procedure to turn the heater on so I have hot water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: Just that the operator (me) is the problem. I am not very good at remembering how to do this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** bypass needs to be shut or valve handle against the pipe if you only have a cold it should be open or valve handle running with the pipe, if you also have a hot it should also be open or valve handle running with the pipe. Water should not be coming out the water heater at all unless the drain plug is not installed OR the pressure relief valve is opened up, they would be located under the outside access panel, the plug is on the bottom and then above that is the brass relief valve, it has a handle and if it is pointing towards you it is open, it should snap shut, let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included.... Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The cold water pipe runs horizontal across the bottom of the heater tank. There is a vertical (bypass) pipe running on the left side of the pipe from the cold water pipe to the top of the tank and another pipe running horizontal across the top of the tank. I opened the toggle on the cold water pipe and heard the water filling the tank. I closed the bypass and opened the toggle on the top (Hot) pipe? When I did this I do not get any water from the hot water tap. What did I do wrong?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
IT sounds like you did not do anything wrong, what is the make and model of the water heater? IF you can send a picture here, you should be able to use the paper clip icon to add a picture. Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
IF you like we can do a phone service might be quicker, there is an additional charge for that... I will make that offer available to you, if not we can go backj and forth in this format as much as needed... Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on limited income and am trying not to spend much more.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
It is very possible that you have a failed check valve on the water heater as well, normally this is the case if the water in the tank is hot.. The check valve will screw into the back of the tank when the spring and disc fall out it can block the flow of water, below is a picture of where it would be located. Also the water leaking is a concern. The only place it should come out is from the drain plug OR if the pressure relief was opened up.Understand on the phone call...
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
was just checking to see if you still need more help on this.... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert