Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I have a 1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder Motorhome on a Ford F53

Customer Question

I have a 1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder Motorhome on a Ford F53 Chassis with a tag axle running on 16" wheels with good Michelin tires. It has a 7.5 liter V8 Ford engine and it has one large slide. It has just over 45,000 miles on it. My questions deals with suspension and generally poor drivability issues. The coach rolls and pitches and the front end corners dips quite a bit when going around corners and sometimes makes a squealing sound when backing up. I am sure it has never had any suspension work as it only has 45,000 miles on it. Can you tell what may be causing all these issues and what is the most economical solutions to solving these issues. I really like the motorhome but just wished it handled and rode better.
Category: RV
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.
Hi Fred. My name is***** will be glad to help. RV's tend to sit most of their life stationary or stored for seasonal use which is not the best for drivetrain, steering and suspension components without seasonal maintenance even though there is little use. Over time the springs weaken and will start these type of symptoms as well as the shock absorbers which are a common wear replacement item. I recommend checking all your steering and suspension springs, sway bars, hangers, bushings, drag links and tie rods and greasing everything. I would replace the shock absorbers first to see if this completely resolves your problem if no other problems were found with wear or broken steering/suspension components and everything is tight. Th shock absorbers will stiffen the load and prevent and lessen the riding in a boat feel. If there is still too much sway then have your local spring shop update your suspension with a firmer replacement spring. Let me know
Hi Fred, Did you get this resolved?