Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

There, I'm plugged into shore power, and I tripped a breaker

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm plugged into shore power, and I tripped a breaker in the house. Not the fifth wheel, the house. When power was restored, My fridge and other lights won't work. None of my outlets have a GFCI reset, but they say protected by GFCI.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: I'm sure it's something very simple. Just not sure What to do.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, like I said it's something very simple. I'm positive
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I basically just need to know if there's GFCI outlet reset somewhere.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: I have stickers on some outlets that say GFCI protected, but I can't find the reset.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Did you flip OFF all the service breakers and then flip them back on again? There are at least two GFCI receptacles and they control more than one outlet. There is one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen and there may be at least one more. Check each outlet and off all those that aren't working there will be a GFCi outlet that may be tripped. They won't reset as long as there is no power into them. And you need to get a dedicated RV outlet at your power source and not use an adapter of any kind IF you are. That usually results in low voltage and amperage spikes and that can damage electrical equipment, especially an A/C. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so there's only stickers stating the outlets are protected by GFCI. I can't check these, I'm not sure how to check where the GFCI's trip.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible to have GFCI protected outlets, but not have a reset on the outlet? I'm not sure how to reset the GFCI's
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
There are two button on the outlet in the middle between the two sockets. One says "test" and one says "reset" and you push the one in that says "reset" and power should be restored. IF it won't reset, then there is no power available OR it is damaged and needs to be replaced. You can test for power INTO them if you have a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so. And the wire up more than one outlet on each one. Saves them money.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. There's only sticker stating that it's protected by GFCI. There's no actual reset button. I've reset GFCI's many time, this one does not have a reset on the outlet. There's only a sticker stating it's protected by GFCI
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Then it is one of those that are just on the circuit that IS protected by a GFCI. They don't install each outlet as a GFCI outlet as that is redundant and expensive. ONE GFCI outlet protects at least two or three others that say that so you know they are on another GFCI protected circuit. Not sure how else to explain this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I understand now. I can't find a single outlet with reset switches
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
There are at least two in there and at least one is not a working outlet at the moment. One in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom area. Any outlet near a water source HAS to be GFCI protected. If you can't find them, you may have to call in a mobile tech to assist you. They would know where to look.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK so I've found out the issue is only affecting my fridge raider, and lights. I know this has to do with the battery, I blew a fuse in the house I'm plugged into, and I had dim lights a moment ago. Now no lights. It must be the battery, but I've replaced that recently. Do you know of any issues that could cause this after tripping a breaker? I've had this happen before and it seems to reset itself after a few days. The girls
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
That may be the converter is failing. That can be a part of the load center and integral with it or a stand alone unit. That is what charges the battery and provides 12 VDC for the lights and powers up the control board in the fridge. If you have a small digital multimeter it can be checked easily. Those are about $20 or so and easy to use. A good converter puts out about 13.7 VDC. Get back to me with the make of your load center and I can tell you more.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok will do tomorrow first thing after work
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
O.K...........I am in California, so keep any time change in mind. I will watch for your post.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in San Jose, ca.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Up near Mt Shasta..........