gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have just purchased A 2016 Thor Compass which has been great

Customer Question

I have just purchased A 2016 Thor Compass which has been great except for the slide in the back. It will go in and out however it is inconsistent. I have not been able to get anyone to explain exactly what steps I need to take to operate it consistently. Help please!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Start by having the battery(s) load tested and checked for shorted cells. Most places that sell them can do this. Surface voltage doesn't give you the actual condition. Even brand new batteries fail all the time. If you only have one, you need two. Many dealers are too cheap to do this correctly. Slideouts take a lot of power to operate. You also need to be plugged into shore power when moving the slides and lubricate the wiper seals on a regular basis with the correct lubricants. Thetford makes some good ones. Once we remove the batteries as a proximate cause we can dig deeper into this and run a few simple tests. All follow ups are included in our fee.