Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Terry 5th wheel the slider will extend

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Terry 5th wheel the slider will extend but will not retract,
have taken the motor out and it will reverse by changing the contacts, have looked
behind the breakers and fuses for a relay no luck..any help would be appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Is this a Power Gear electric slide out mechanism? If so, there will be a control module in one of the service bays on the wall or ceiling OR under the bed in some models. This can be the switch or the module. Be sure that the battery(s) are in good shape as well. If they are over 3 years old there is a good chance they may need replacing. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have not been able to find a relay any where or control module any where!
Yes this a Power Gear electric slide out mechanism.
I have reversed the switch and also replaced it, trying to trace the wiring is impossible.
Bot***** *****ne still need help.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
They can be hard to find sometimes and there is an upgrade kit you will need if this is still the OEM parts. They changed the way this works due to too many problems using a ground switching system.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unless some one can point to a relay / controller we give up . Have taken the covers off vents,furnaces, water heaters ect.
every thing but take up the carpet. Upgrade kit, where do I find this item.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Did you look under the bed and under the fridge? In the front compartment? If you see any wiring that is about 4 or 5 wires in a loom it will have those going from the motor? Most any dealer will have the upgrade kit or online at E-Bay. Maybe Amazon. Let me try to get you a part number and what a good price is.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
The part number is(###) ###-####and a decent price is about $84 or so. It changes the switching to a postive lead system and keeps this from happening.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only thing we have not been able to get behind is the motor for extending the levelers.
Only two leads out of the motor they go into a wire harness that runs both ways along the out side / under side of the unit
we will not cut the blanket any more to see what else is there.
I assume that the p/n you gave is a Power Gear #.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
I know they kind of hide these. I am attaching a photo of one so you can see what they look like. I want to say that this is going to be on the same side as the slide in a compartment bay on either side OR under whatever is in the slide. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M5e640b616ba29d58d3507660ded6d891o0&w=286&h=185&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back in to se if you were able to resolve this or do you still need some additional input from me here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the picture, that's what we have been looking for.
What we have done for a temporary fix is to wire the motor direct to the battery.
Plan on taking up the chase later.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
O.K........I know it will be there and it can be hard to see!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is one thing you can fix, it appears that I was double billed....
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
I will ask them to take a look at that for you.......
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.