gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have an Suburban SF-25 Furnace in my motorhome. It seems

Customer Question

I have an Suburban SF-25 Furnace in my motorhome. It seems to work ok for a couple of times. Then when the thermostat calls for more heat the fan will come on for 2 or more seconds and then sounds like it is trying to run ( fan) and will run for a half sec. and keep trying to run then after 2-3 min. of this it will start running and seems to be working fine and then the fan will just shut off and I think the burnur is still on then it will on and off and then start working normal. May work right for several cycles and then start cycling again ?
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the sail switch, replaced the delay switch, Checed the wiring for bad connection visually and wiggling wires when the unit was running. checke the blower wheels to make sure it spins freely. I was a auto mechanic for years and it reminds me of a bad heater motor working intermittently.
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: I just installed new batteries. Had the problem before that and still do. The furnace seems to work ok most of the time . I mean it keeps it warm just that the noise of it going on and off makes it hard to sleep and i
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
It sounds like the brushes in the motor may be about gone. But, I would start by checking the LP pressure at the tank regulator. If that is low the unit will run hot and it may be tripping out the limit switch. Be sure all the ducts are open and not obstructed. How many years has this motor got on it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a 2000 mini Winnie. it has 47000 miles on lt. I am in Alaska and I bought it used up here last year. I don't have any problem replacing the motor. I was running it tonight and it(furnace started ok). Fan started blipped a couple of times on and off and then burner came on and both ran continuesly until up to temp, then both burner and fan shut off at the same time and though I turned up the thermostat would not restart. I turned everything off. will try again tomorrow.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Turn on a stovetop burner up high. Any yellow or red in the flame tips? Does the flame dance up and down on the burner or stay at the same height?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked the burners, they are nice and blue except on the very tip there is a small yellow spot. They flicker a little but look ok. I have had problems filling the tank as they say there is no full bleed screw. That regulator has to be at least 17 years old and I am reading suggestions to replace about every 10 years. I am going to replace it but won't be for a couple days and will get back after that.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Good idea..........Marshall makes about the best one. $39 or so. I will watch for your post.