Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

I have a 2003 Scottsdale NewMar with an 8.2 Chev engine. Had

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Scottsdale NewMar with an 8.2 Chev engine. Had the cruise control replaced, mechanic took it for a drive, it worked than stopped working. What am I to look for to get the cruise to engage?
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Joe,

I recommend that you first check all the tail lights and brake lights for proper operation, including the brake light switch for proper adjustment.

You want to look for anything that could be creating feedback on the brake light circuit and causing the cruise to shut off. Also , inspect your trailer / tow light connector and wiring in the rear for possible damage or short circuits.

Even a bad turn signal or tail light bulb in the rear can send feedback through the brake light circuit that will shut off the cruise control.
You may also want to remove the bulbs and check the sockets for corrosion on those where a brake light shares a socket with a tail light or turn signal. If you always tow a vehicle or trailer , verify that the problem is not in the light wiring of the tow vehicle.

The cruise control computing is done in the engine ecm, so most cruise problems are within the brake circuits, harness, and components.

-Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe