Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

How do I remove the hot water heater in my camper

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is***** would help if I had the make and model but in a nut shell you would turn OFF the LP and bleed the line at the stove. IF you have an AC element on your water heater shut the breaker OFF OR unplug from shore power. Shut the water off and then go to the outside access and lift up on the pressure relief valve, on th bottom remove the drain plug and let the water heater drain, after is is drained go to the opposite side, many times you have to go inside the RV remove some drawers or false panel to get to the back of the water heater, disconnect the AC wires to the element, make sure that the AC power is isolated, un screw the hot and cold ports on the water heater. Go back outside and disconnect the LP line, use a wrench on each side of the fitting or you can twist the LP line. Disconnect the 12 volt connector going to the circuit board. Next you should have a flange that you can unscrew from the outside, once the flange is unscrewed the water heater will be free.A few notes, most water heaters will have check valves on them and can be on the hot or cold port the lines screw onto, make sure if you are replacing to put the check valve on the new one, it will be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it.When you hook up the LP get some bubbles and soak the fitting, if you have a leak it will bubble, I would do that before starting the water heater.IF you still need more help please get me the make and model, they are all set up pretty much the same way.IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert