Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

When I turn hot water on faucet it starts and quickly shuts

Customer Question

When I turn hot water on faucet it starts and quickly shuts off
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
HI my name is***** you tell me the make and model of the water heater? Should be a sticker located under the outside access panel... Thanks, Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Follow ups are included. I was asking for the model because one has a mixing valve, others would have a check valve.Go to the back of the water heater and check your valve positions, most will have a hot, cold and bypass. The hot and cold should be open, or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle running against the pipe. IF the valves are in the proper position then you could have a check valve issue, the check valve will screw into the tank, below is a picture as an example, the check valve will be plastic or brass, when the spring and disc fall out it can block the flow of hot water. IF you have an Atwood XT model please let me know, that one uses a mixing valve... Let me know if you still need more help.... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
The check valve could be on the hot or cold, the picture shows the hot side having the check valve.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I bypass the water heater the water runs. When I go through the water heater I get no water at all.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
it looks like to me you might have two check valves on the inlet and outlet, feel the top line and see if it is hot, if the water in the tank is HOT and the line is cool then I would unscrew that check valve on the top and make sure it did not fail. Make sure you go outside first and open the pressure relief valve up first before you un-screw the check valve. What happens is the spring and disc can fall out and block the flow of water.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert