Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Camper stove has stopped working. We are travelling in bush.

Customer Question

Camper stove has stopped working. We are travelling in bush. Can you suggest readons. Gas fridge is working so not a gas problem.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Is it the burners or the oven or both? Please describe more fully the problem for me and I can suggest a solution. Is the fridge on LP mode now and working fine? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further. Make and model of your stove would be helpful here. All follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fridge is on LP also and is working fine. Model is SMEV 402. It is in a Jayco camper.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Did you try to manually light one of the burners? I am attaching the manual which covers this model. It isn't available any longer and I don't have much information on this. It does depend on a good 12 VDC source for ignition and it might be a fuse on that lead is blown OR it might be in the ignition system itself. On page 9 is show and describes how to manually light the burners. See if that works and get back to me with the results. http://caravansplus.com.au/pdf/Smev%20Cookers%20Manuals%20.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we will read the manual then give it a try. We will let you know in the morning. Thankyou
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
O.K...........I believe you can still light this manually until you can either get a fuse installed for the ignition or replace the spark module. Please let me know how it turns out for you. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. We actually still have sparks so it looks like a gas problem
Fridge still working on gas. We read the manuaĺ but did not find a solution. May have to use small portable stove until we reach Broom as there is no technitian here at Pt Hedland. Thanks for your help. Have a nice day.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
That must have an electronic valve in there that controls the gas flow. Does that top come up so you can check and see if it just has a lose connection? It might be something as simple as that. And you are welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will have a look.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lid does not lift at all. A man just came along and said there is a switch UNDER the actual camper. Crawled under and found it. Gas now ok. Thank God we can continue our journey. Thankyou so much anyway. Have a great day. We will.
.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Wow! How do you suppose that got turned off? Thanks for sharing that with me and be safe!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe rough roads. Will be out of tange for few days. ...
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Good to know........