Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

MY ATWOOD PROPANE HEATER FURNACE ON 2005 JAYCO 5th WHEEL RV

Customer Question

MY ATWOOD PROPANE HEATER FURNACE ON 2005 JAYCO 5th WHEEL RV TRAILER COMES ON WITH BLOWER THEN IGNITES PROPANE FLAME FOR 5 sec THEN CYCLES FLAME OFF
WHILE THE BLOWER MOTOR STAYS ON. THE FLAME REIGNITES FOR ABOUT 5 sec APPROX
EVERY MINUTE FOR THREE CYCLES. IS THE CONTROL CARD IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT
OR IS THERE A THERMOCOUPLE SAFETY MORE LIKELY THE CAUSE ?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ARE THE CONTROL CARDS FOR ATWOOD FURNACES UNIVERSAL OR DO I NEED A SPECIFIC PART NUMBER IF IT IS
THE PROBLEM PART? SAME FOR THE THERMOCOUPLE , WHAT WOULD BE THE PART NUMBER IF IT IS FAULTY ?
COULD THE SAIL SWITCH BE THE PROBLEM?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
This is usually one of two problems or both. Either the LP pressure at the tank regulator is too low and needs to be adjusted OR the control board is defective on the flame sense portion. Doubtful it is the sail switch, but you can test the incoming DC voltage to tell. That needs to be over 12.5 VDC to do a good job on the air flow. The part number for the control board you would want from Dinosaur Electronics is called a "Fan 50 Plus" board. Much improved over the OEM boards that are made in China. There is no thermocouple on this furnace. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Furnace manual for you. Print out a copy as there is a lot of great information in there. Shop around as the price for that board varies. Most shops have a manometer for checking the regulator if you take it into them or buy a new one. Marshall makes a good one for about $39 or so. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf