Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We just got our camper out and the slider motor has no power

Customer Question

We just got our camper out and the slider motor has no power is there a fuse some place other then in fuse box for the slider. Its a 2004 RockWood Forest Rive
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
This should have a shortstop breaker near the battery(s) and you should be able to follow the red positive cable right to it. Most are manual reset and you push the black button in on the end to reset it. Low voltage is the main reason these trip. Be sure that that the battery(s) are not over 3 years old or they may be ready for replacement. Keep the shore cord plugged in whenever possible when moving the slide as these take a lot of power and use the proper lubrications on a regular basis to ease the drag on the room. I am attaching a link to a photo of this breaker so you know what to look for. Some will be underneath and you may have to remove a small panel to get to it. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more assistance in this as all follow ups are included in our fee.https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shortstop+breaker&view=detailv2&&id=FF1DB9A9E4D0D1A7540EECAAC90C3BA5FC88C3D3&selectedIndex=0&ccid=YM3fXbkk&simid=608042850401062333&thid=OIP.M60cddf5db924d363dd03f6ba05cd33d0o0&ajaxhist=0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will look at that and see. I though if that was bad I would not have any power in the camper at all or does the slider run off a drifferente power wire from the battery?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
It gets power directly from the battery through one of these breakers. It acts like a fuse, but can be reset. The battery should be getting a charge from the converter in the process which helps the voltage stay in an acceptable level. You can't really have a converter supplying all the power for a slide, so if the battery is failing this happens. Most RV batteries only last about 3 years. Better to have two batteries when you have slides, but most dealers only install one to save money. Load test yours to see what the actual condition is. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tested battery just now with my multimeter and it read 13.4V. I would like to know if I can call you tomorrow and after I check under the camper if its not the breaker.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I will provide a phone option offer for you......and that voltage is good. Any chance that mice may have gotten into this since you used it last? They love to chew up wiring.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we dont see any mice tracks we had it stored in the shop we dont have mice in there due to the 3 cats but Im not ruleing anything out. So can I use the live call tomorrow? As its dark outside now? What would be a good time?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I am in California and get up early. I have to go to Oregon for a few hours and will be leaving about 8:30 a.m. my time and returning about 4:30 p.m. my time. You do have to accept the phone chat option before the call. Then I provide my phone number.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this or do you still need a phone chat and further input from me?