gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

2014 Itasca Sunova 36V I want to remove the dinette and replace

Customer Question

2014 Itasca Sunova 36V
I want to remove the dinette and replace with table/chairs. Appears to be straight-forward take out screws except for one side - the one on your right as you face the dinette from the aisle. There is a carpeted object about the size of a 2x6 running the length of the space from the electrical box to the aisle. Is screwed to, but without any visible wiring into the electrical box. Appears to be a carpeted piece on top of the flat carpet. I'd like to know what this is before starting to take it out, and if there are any tricks in involved in the project as a whole.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Can you attach a photo of that area to your post so I can see exactly what you are looking at? That way I can tell you what needs to be done here.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can, but I can't get to the unit right now. May I send it tomorrow?
Longer description: standing in the aisle, facing the table, there are (the usual) two bench seats. The seat part of each one opens up for storage underneath. The seat on the left (as you face it) is screwed to the floor and the wall. The seat on the right is also screwed to the floor and wall, but at the (wall) end, not connected to the seat itself is an enclosed electrical box, approximately 4x8 inches x 2 inches deep. Directly in front of that box, and lying lengthwise in the floor, is the carpeted "2x6"
It is not connected to the aisle side of the bench, and appears not to be connected with any wiring. But I suppose it could be covering wiring or something?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Tomorrow is fine...........I will watch for your post.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, so I took a couple of pics, attached. While I was there I tried to feel around the piece - seems to be a cover for what feels like an electrical wire, but one not attached to anything. Maybe it's a harness for something not installed?
It does appear to go to the box at the end. This unit is offered with an option of the dinette set or table/chairs, so I'm thinking it's not likely something that has to be where it is now, but what do I know? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Not sure what you are looking at in that one photo. Can you cut out a white arrow and point to it with a photo?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Maybe back up some to get a wider angle view.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK here's a marked up version, lightened some also. I'm looking into the space under the bench seat. The seat is lifted left to right. The arrow at the top points to the wall-mounted electrical outlet. Immediately below that is the armrest. Below that, marked, is the "mystery box" that is apparently an electrical junction box of some sort. In front of that, outlined in a white box, is the carpeted 2x6-sized piece I'm asking about. It does seem to be a cover over a wire, but it's not connected to anything. I suppose it might go into the floor underneath that cover, but I can't tell from underneath. I know I could just take it off and see what's there, but it would be nice to know what it is before doing that.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
I don't know what that is......and you may have to remove the cover to tell. I don't recall seeing anything like that before under one of these.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It covered some electrical cabling that went through a 2" hole in the floor underneath the cover. So I got the dinette out without damage to anything, but the hump will have to stay. It doesn't interfere with the chairs, so it's not a big deal. With all respect to your help and conversation, however, I don't really think I got my $37 worth. "I don't know" is what I knew to start with.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Not a problem.........we have no way of knowing every answer to every question. Refunds are alway available.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks. I've requested the refund. But I'll still rate you five stars for your listening and patience. Maybe next time.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Doesn't count on refunds........we work for free then. It happens.