Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

2005 country coach Allure 470 w C9 cat engine with engine brake...Brak

Customer Question

2005 country coach Allure 470 w C9 cat engine with engine brake...
Brake lights work on coach and trailer when engine compartment is not heated to operating temp. Once temp gets up to operating temp, brake lights on coach and trailer dont light up...neither does brake controller indicate power going to brakes, yet the brake controller has power to it and can be operated manually.
Ive replaced air operated brake switch, brake relay and brake fuse breaker...still no brake lights when operating temp. Compartments cool down and brake lights wotk again. This happens whether trailer is connected or not.
The engine brake controller is supposed to activate brake lights on coach and trailer, plus activate trailer brake controller.
Im supposing that there must be another brake switch or brake switch solenoid to activate brake lights while engine brake system activates? It would have to be close to the engine brake apparratus...therefore affected by extreme temperature exposure to stop functioning properly...
Am I even close to knowing what Im guessing?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hi....

There is a recall that could have something to do with this, I would contact CC, they do have a technical support number, I would think there is a strong possibility with this recall it could be the issue.... Robert

Manufacturer: COUNTRY COACH INC

SUMMARY:

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, A CIRCUIT BREAKER IN THE CLEARANCE LIGHT CIRCUIT DOES NOT PROTECT THE CIRCUIT FROM A TOO HIGH AMPERAGE DRAW CAUSED BY A TOWED PASSENGER VEHICLE.

CONSEQUENCE:

THE CIRCUIT BREAKER CAN OVERHEAT THE WIRE AND INSULATION TO A POINT WHICH COULD CAUSE A FIRE.

REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE CIRCUIT BREAKERS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 8, 2004. CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT COUNTRY COACH AT 1-***-***-****

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Also click HERE for owner notification..... Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No Robert, it happens whether trailer attached or not. I was at Country Coach yesterday. They didn't know what to do after replacing air brake switch, break relay, breaker fuse and breaker fuse holder.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mentioned, in the original question, that it happens whether the trailer is connected or not. I also mentioned that the air brake switch, the brake relay and brake fuse breaker has been replaced...
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

OK

Let me go through my notes, I actually was at CC in 2005 and recall the circuit breaker change out but do not recall an issue with the brake circuit, I would want to verify all the breakers are the correct type as when they heat up they should trip I was thinking heat related and tow vehicle, let me see if I can find anything else out... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

I would see if this has a tow card, or tow board and check the connections on that board, if that board failed it could cause the brake lights to fail even if the tow vehicle is not hooked up. I would think CC would have checked that to make sure it is not the problem.... IF you like I can put your question back up for other experts..... My goal is for you to be satisfied, questions like this are always a challenge online.. Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Country Coach said that the tow board affects only tow vehicle's lights
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

I am not so sure the tow board could back feed the brake circuit as it is tied in with it. I will put your question back up for other experts, maybe another expert has seen this before, I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily, If I can think of anything else at all I will jump back in..... Robert