peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

I have a 2001 Monaco Knight and I installed a new dash and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Monaco Knight and I installed a new dash and then tried to start no dash idiot lights the step kept stuttering until it quit. No headlights, wipers or starter. I suspect a relay box of some sort but am unsure of what to look for.
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible. I am not opposed to having it towed to a shop but the Monaco dealer is about 100 miles away. I am in Hilmar, CA 95324
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: I drove it in and had to remove all of the instruments I am relatively sure I have those wires back correctly as the plugs only go one way.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Usually what does occur here when a fault like this has occurred after a repair like this is one or more wires are pinched or damaged or a ground was left loose or disconnected or an issue with wiring connections in the dash area itself.I would double check all wiring and connections for any issues making sure nothing was left loose or disconnected or damaged in any way needing repaired or replaced.This may require removal of the dash again to inspect it fully. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have power into the ignition switch and power out when you go to start. I have disconnected all of the dash wires and still nothing including the step which worked up until I tried to turn on the ignition and main disconnect. I had turned the disconnect switch off while I charged the batteries. I turned it on after all of the dash was connected, turning on the power I got the stutter in the step without it fully extending or receding. No lights in the dash or any where else. Maybe I need a mobile mechanic.
This is definitely a tough one to fully diagnose from here without seeing it.It may take a mobile mechanic or a repair facility that has worked on this model here to locate and repair the fault.This sounds like a voltage or ground issue.It may be in the disconnect itself or a cable issue from one of the batteries with corrosion or damage.I would have this checked into further to see if any of these are found to be an issue here needing repaired or replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete