][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician

I have a c13 cat in my 2006 Beaver motor coach. It gets 6mpg

Customer Question

i have a c13 cat in my 2006 Beaver motor coach. It gets 6mpg at the most at highway speeds. What can i do to improve the mpg? it has 525HP with 4.33 gears.William Couey- Memphis,TN
Category: RV
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 5 months ago.

Hi William, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer! I hope I can help today. There is many options to go with when looking for improved fuel economy. These improvements range in amount but I think there is a lot of modest things to be done without breaking the bank. So on these particular engines one of the most important things is the maintenance. I used to run a brand new premium air filter, Fully Synthetic engine oil, and genuine CAT filter. The Engine top end valve adjustment should be done if it hasn't in the last 60,000 Miles. All these practices will help to let run as efficient as possible.

The second recommendation I would have is, do you think you need all 525 HP to run that truck where you take it? I'm not sure whether your toing with it as well but, there is another option of asking your local CAT dealer to check your Electronic Control Module calibration to see if it would be possible to derate the motor by 50 HP which should enhance your fuel economy. If your running mostly highway and not any rocky mountains or towing this option would probably show you a significant improvement for only the price of an ECM calibration.

I have another recommendation that would yield the most savings but its the most expensive so let me know if your interested and I can share that too.

Thank you,

Hello Sir,

I wanted to check in to see what your thought were on the suggestions so far? Like I mentioned if your interested I can elaborate on some more aggressive ways to gain fuel mileage.

Please just let me know what you'd like to elaborate on and I'll help the best I can. Customer service is our biggest priority so please don't forget to rate my service upon completion.

If you would rather discuss over a phone call please feel welcome to send me a request.

Much appreciated!